Maggie Markie, FNP-C, has been a board-certified Family Nurse Practitioner since 2017, and she has more than 15 years of clinical experience in caring for patients. She has been collaborating with Dr. Howerter in Martinsville since 2020.
Ms. Markie received her Masters of Science in Nursing from Duke University in Durham, NC. Prior to obtaining her masters, she practiced as a board-certified medical/surgical registered nurse for seven years. Her scope of practice included acute and intermediate care settings on medical, surgical and oncologic units at UNC-Chapel Hill and Duke University healthcare systems. She was a medical assistant for five years in dermatology before earning her Diploma of Nursing from Watts School of Nursing in Durham and holds a BA from UNC-Greensboro for her undergraduate curriculum.
Previously, Ms. Markie worked as a family nurse practitioner at a dermatology practice in northern Virginia. She is an active member of Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, the Society of Dermatology Nurse Practitioners, the American Association of Nurse Practitioners and the American Nurses’ Association.
View Full Bio / CV
2017 Duke University
MS in Nursing
2012 Watts School of Nursing
2005 UNC Greensboro
BA in Media Studies
Nationally Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
Licensed Nurse Practitioner
Licensed Registered Nurse
2018 – 2020
Family Nurse Practitioner
- Worked autonomously as an FNP in Dermatology with patients across the lifespan to diagnose and treat hair, skin and nail disorders.
- Prescribed medications as appropriate for the management of dermatologic diseases and provided patient education on medication safety.
- Performed biopsies of skin lesions to aid in diagnosing skin disorders and cutaneous malignancies.
2016 – 2018
Registered Nurse, Flex Team
- Maintained flexibility and adapted to the needs of the hospital as a float nurse in various progressive and acute inpatient units throughout the hospital.
- Advocated for and provided safe, evidence-based care to adult patients in the medical, surgical, and oncological populations.
- Educated patients and families on medication safety, health promotion and health maintenance.
- Utilized resources per hospital protocol and communicated concerns effectively to unit charge nurses and providers.
2012 – 2015
Duke University Hospital
Clinical Nurse II
- Provided safe, effective, and evidence-based care to patients with multiple comorbidities in the inpatient adult medical progressive care population by means of health promotion, health maintenance, patient advocacy, and adherence to entity policies/procedures.
- Performed as a proficient charge nurse when assigned to the role to provide safe care by assisting with any patient/family or nursing issues that may have arisen in care and maintain unit budget guidelines.
- Precept student nurses and new graduate nurses.
- Served as a resource for peers on the unit in the mini-expert roles of skincare
champion, sickle cell champion, and magnet champion. Assisted with audits as the roles require, maintaining unit compliancy.
2007 – 2010 Cary Dermatology Center
2005 – 2007 Central Dermatology Center
Medical Office Assistant
- Interviewed patient to obtain chief complaint/history, completed medication reconciliation at the start of each visit, and assisted with documentation of provider’s findings during exam.
- Assisted providers with skin biopsy and surgical excision procedures.
- Reviewed pathology results of atypical nevi and non-melanoma skin cancers
with patients, discussed treatment options, and coordinated appropriate follow-up appointments.
- Collaborated with providers with urgent requests in a triage role.
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS / MEMBERSHIPS
- 2016 – present, Member, American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- 2018 to present, Member, Dermatology Nurses’ Association
- 2012 to present, Member, American Nurses Association