Dr. Julia Stiegler is a native of Birmingham, Alabama, and happy to call Raleigh her new home. She graduated from Amherst College in Massachusetts where she double majored in chemistry and studio art. Dr. Stiegler completed her medical training at the University of Alabama School Of Medicine where she graduated in the top of her class and was induced into the prestigious Alpha Omega Alpha honor society.
Following an intern year in Chicago, she completed her dermatology residency at the University of Rochester, New York, working with leading experts in skin disease, cutaneous oncology, and laser surgery. Dr. Stiegler has spoken at national conferences including the American Academy of Dermatology and annual American Society of Dermatologic Surgery. Her work has been published in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology and JAMA Dermatology, and she has written book chapters on cosmetic and laser therapies for acne scarring. She is a member of the American Academy of Dermatology and the American Society for Dermatology Surgery.
Dr. Stiegler will be joining Bain Dermatology in September 2021 and is excited to care for patients in Raleigh. Outside of work, Dr. Stiegler enjoys the outdoors, exercise, home cooking, and traveling.
- University of Rochester, Dermatology Resident, Rochester, NY (07/2018- Present)
- Resident Cosmetics Chair, Resident Wellness Chair
- Presence Resurrection Hospital, Transitional Year Resident, Chicago, IL (06/2017- 06/2018)
- University of Alabama School of Medicine, MD, Birmingham, AL (08/2013- 05/2017)
- AOA, Class Rank: Top quartile, USMLE Step1: 258
- Amherst College, Bachelor of the Arts in Chemistry and Studio Art, Amherst, MA (09/2008- 05/2012)
HONORS AND AWARDS
- ASDS Resident Scholarship (11/2019, 11/2020)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Society, UASOM (09/2016)
- Best Medical Student in 3rd and 4th year Surgical Clerkships, UASOM (09/2016)
- Larry Mayes Endowed Scholarship, UASOM (04/2016)
- Pre-Clinical Commendation for Physical Exam Skills, UASOM (05/2014)
- Medical Student Summer Research Program, UASOM (05/2014)
- $3,750 Research stipend awarded for proposal: “Oxidative stress and development of post-operative atrial
- Massachusetts Life Sciences Center’s Internship (05/2011)
- $4,000 research stipend awarded to work in emerging biomedical science company
- Civic Engagement Scholar- Mead Summer Fellowship in the Practice of Art (04/2010)
- $3,200 Stipend to photograph for the City Parks Foundation in NYC with a focus on social inequalities
- National Merit Finalist (02/2008)
- Congressional Art Show Winner (05/2007)
- Stiegler J, Mogan S., Pukhalskaya T, Ibrahim S. Multifocal Primary Mucinous Carcinoma of the Eyelids: Implications for Management. JAAD Case Reports. Accepted
- Stiegler J, Adly S. Vitiligo: A Comprehensive Overview. The Journal of the Dermatology Nurses’ Association. Accepted
- Whitt W, Stiegler J, Richardson C. Autoimmune progesterone dermatitis mimicking facial erythromelalgia successfully treated with hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy Multifocal. JAAD Case Reports. 2020;6(10):1104-1106
- Stiegler J, Weinstein M. Chapter 3: Therapies for Acne Scarring. In: Branham G, Dover J, eds. Advances in Cosmetic Surgery. Vol 3. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier: 2020:15-24.
- Wieser J, Kuehn G, Prezzano J, Cusick E, Stiegler J, Scott G, Liesveld J, Beck L. Improvement in a patient with hypereosinophilic syndrome after initiation of dupilumab treatment. JAAD Case Reports, 2020;6(4):292- 295
- Pukhalskaya T, Reyes-Barron C, Stiegler J. Chapter 41: Malignant epithelial tumors (SCC, BCC): A 65- year-old female with a pre-auricular skin lesion. In: Bhanote M, Hicks DG, ed. Pathology Case Report: Beyond the Pearls. Elsevier: 2020: 443-452.
- Pukhalskaya T, Reyes-Barron C, Stiegler J. Chapter 42: Melanocytic Nevi and Melanoma: A 32-Year-Old Female with a Mole. In: Bhanote M, Hicks DG, ed. Pathology Case Report: Beyond the Pearls. Elsevier: 2020: 453-461.
- Mauchley D, Stiegler J, Padilla L, Aburjania Z, Cleveland D. Repair of Rare Vascular Ring: Circumflex Aortic Arch with Associated Hypoplasia and Coarctation. World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg, 2019
- Stiegler J, Sami, N. Successful Treatment of Cutaneous Small Vessel Vasculitis with Leflunomide (A Case Report). JAMA Case Reports, 2017;153(9):940-942.
- Stiegler J, Mayo T, Guerrero C, Pavlidakey P. Dermatofibroma after Apple Cider Vinegar Injections: A Case Report. Abstract published in the online version of Journal of Cutaneous Pathology in Jan 2017.
- Stiegler J, Lucas C, Sami N. Pyoderma Gangrenosum in Pregnancy: A Successful Response to Infliximab. JAAD Case Reports, 2017;3(5):387-389.
- Harrington P, McAlexander W, Bryant A, Wallace P, Gray S, Massey (Stiegler) J, Gray S, Kukreja M, Cleveland D, Kirklin J, Davies J. Outcomes of Patients Who Undergo Cardiac Surgical Procedures After Liver Transplantation. Ann Thorac Surg, 2017;103(2):541-545.
- Stiegler J, Ibrahim S, A novel Hybrid Fractionated Resurfacing laser with exceptional efficacy for Moderate to Severe Acne Scarring in all skin types. Dermatologic Surgery. Submitted
- Pukhalskaya T, Stiegler J, Scott G, Richardson T, Smoller B. Degos disease (Malignant Atrophic Papulosis) with granular IgM on direct immunofluorescence (DIF). Cureus. Submitted
- Stiegler J, Ibrahim S. Non-Cosmetic Applications of Erbium-Doped Yttrium Aluminum Garnet (Er:YAG) Laser Ablation : Beyond Wrinkles. Oral Presentation at ASDS 50th Annual Meeting; Oct 8-11, 2020; Baltimore, MD.
- Stiegler J. Weinstein M. Er:YAG laser-assisted delivery of 5-fluorouracil and corticosteroids in the treatment of keloids : A case series. Poster Presentation at ASDS 50th Annual Meeting; Oct 8-11, 2020; Baltimore, MD.
- Stiegler J., Ibrahim S. Synergistic Effects of Hybrid Fractionated Resurfacing for Moderate to Severe Acne Scarring- A Series of 10 Cases. Oral Presentation at ASDS 49th Annual Meeting; Oct 24-27, 2019; Chicago, IL.
- Stiegler J, Pukhalskaya T, Scott G, Smoller B. Degos Disease (Malignant Atrophic Papulosis) with granular IgM on direct immunofluorescence. Poster Presentation at ASDP 56rd Annual Meeting; Oct 17-20, 2019; San Diego, CA.
- Pukhalskaya T, Brown J, Sills A, Stiegler J. Smoller, B. Traumatic Panniculitis in a Patient with Subcutaneous Panniculitis-like T Cell Lymphoma (SPTCL). Poster Presentation at ASDP 56rd Annual Meeting; Oct 17-20, 2019; San Diego, CA.
- Stiegler J, Cusick E, Tausk F. Revisiting the art of treating delusions. Acta Dermato-Venereologica. Abstract presented at 18th Congress of the European Society for Dermatology and Psychiatry June 2019
- Stiegler J, Cusick, E, Tausk F. “Delusions”. Presented at the Association of Psychoneurocutaneous Medicine of North America (APMNA) Annual Meeting. February 28, 2019. Washington D. C.
- Stiegler J, Lucas C, Sami N. Pyoderma Gangrenosum in Pregnancy: A Successful Response to Infliximab. Oral Presentation at Alabama Dermatology Society Meeting; Oct 21, 2016; Birmingham, AL.
- Stiegler J, Mayo T, Guerrero C, Pavlidakey P. Dermatofibroma after Apple Cider Vinegar Injections: A Case Report. Poster Presentation at American Society of Dermatopathology 53rd Annual Meeting; Oct 26- 31, 2016; Chicago, IL.
- Harrington P, Stiegler J, Bryant A, Cleveland D, Gray S., Kukreja M. Outcomes of Patients Who Undergo Cardiac Surgery After Liver Transplantation. Presented at Society for Thoracic Surgery 52nd Annual Meeting; Jan 2016, Phoenix, AZ.
- Harrington P, Stiegler J, Kukreja M, Davies J, Kirklin J, Cleveland D. Outcomes after Cardiac Surgery in Liver Transplant Recipients. Poster presented at Medical Student Research Day, Oct 2014, Birmingham, AL. Oral Presentation at Larry Mayes Research Day, April 2016, Tuscaloosa, AL.
- Phosphorex Inc., Researcher & Technical Support Specialist, Hopkinton, MA (09/2012 -06/2013)
- Worked with microspheres and nanospheres (including PLGA, PLLA, PMMA, chitosan) for a broad range of scientific and biomedical applications
- Developed customized drug delivery systems with active pharmaceutical ingredients in a GMP environment
- Pitched proprietary technology to pharmaceutical companies and represented Phosphorex at drug delivery conferences
HEALTH RELATED LEADERSHIP
- Larry Mayes Research Society, Vice President and Fellow, UASOM (08/2015-5/2017)
- Organized monthly meetings including journal clubs, faculty presentations and student presentations, to increase research exposure. Managed $4,000 budget
- Research Advisory Council, UASOM (06/2016-5/2017)
- Facilitated initiation and conduct of research by faculty, staff, and students. Provide recommendations to the dean for distributions of funds in the research support account.
- Medical Student Orientation Guide, UASOM (06/2016-5/2017)
- Oriented new medical students to campus, provided advice, lead tours of facilities
- Plastic Surgery Interest Group, President, UASOM (07/2015-5/2016)
- Amherst College EMS, Co-Director, Director of Personnel, EMT-Basic (01/2009-05/2012)
- Addressed complaints from patients and squad members. Organized schedules for a 40-person squad. Provided physical exam remediation sessions.
- ASDS, WDS, ASLMS