Elena Avila, PA-C, joined Pinehurst Dermatology in 2005, and the practice recently joined The Skin Surgery Center in November 2020. Elena attended the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, earning a Bachelor of Science in Neuroscience. She went to graduate school at Duke University Medical Center, where she earned her Physician Assistant Certification and Masters in Health Sciences. Elena is knowledgeable in a wide range of medical surgical and cosmetic dermatology for all age groups.
- Pinehurst Dermatology
1996 University of Massachusetts
BS Psychology/Neuroscience Track
1998 Duke University Medical Center
Master of Health Sciences
CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSURES
North Carolina License #000102577
NCCPA Certification #1039292 – October 1998-present
Basic Life Support – 1997-present
Pinehurst Dermatology / The Skin Surgery Center
Currently working with two Board Certified Dermatologists in a medical, surgical, and cosmetic dermatologic practice
Pinehurst Surgical Clinic
Working with three Board Certified General Surgeons, duties include all aspects of surgical patient care including pre-operative evaluation, first assist on the OR, post- surgical care and minor office procedures
Denver Dermatology Consultants, P.C.
Worked with two Board Certified Dermatologists in a fast-paced dermatologic practice
- Duties included all aspects of pediatric and adult dermatology with a strong emphasis in surgical dermatology including first assist during Mohs micrographic surgery.
- Active in community in educating the public about skin cancer awareness through community lectures.
- Skin enhancement was also a focus of our practice utilizing various chemical peels, Botox, collagen injections, microdermabrasion, sclerotherapy and the Diolite laser to optimize each patient’s outcome.
Physician Assistant, General Surgery Department
Pinehurst Surgical Clinic
Worked with three Board Certified General Surgeons with duties including all aspects of care for the surgical patient including pre-operative evaluation, first assist in the OR, post-operative care and minor office procedures.
- American Academy Of Physician Assistants 1996-present
- North Carolina Academy of Physician Assistants 2003-present
PUBLICATIONS AND LECTURES
Hara M., Toyoda M., Yaar M., Bhawan J., Avila EM, Penner IR, Gilchrest BA. Innervation of metanocytes in human skin. Journal of Experimental Medicine. 184(4):13B5-95. October 1996.
Biopsy and Suture Workshop. Colorado Academy of Physician Assistants, Winter Meeting, Copper Mountain, Colorado, January 2003.