- Carolina Mountain Dermatology
Dr. Christopher Urban joined The Skin Surgery Center in August of 2017. He graduated summa cum laude with a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from the Schreyer Honors College of Pennsylvania State University and was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa.
Dr. Urban graduated from the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine. He completed an internship in Internal Medicine at Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia, PA. Dr. Urban completed a dermatology residency at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis and received his board certification in dermatology from the American Board of Dermatology.
Dr. Urban completed additional training as the Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Procedural Dermatology fellow at Washington University in St. Louis. He is a member of the American Academy of Dermatology, the American College of Mohs Surgery and the American Society of Dermatologic Surgery. His areas of interest include Mohs micrographic surgery and reconstruction, cutaneous oncology, and cosmetic dermatology.
Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO (2014-2015)
Procedural Dermatology Fellowship, ACGME accredited, ACMS approved
Washington University in St. Louis & Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO (2011-2014)
Pennsylvania Hospital, Philadelphia, PA (2010-2011)
Internship in Internal Medicine
University of Pennsylvania (Perelman) School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA (2006- 2010)
Doctor of Medicine, May 2010
The Pennsylvania State University Schreyer Honors College, State College, PA (2002-2006)
Major: Biology- Genetics and Developmental Biology, Minor: Neuroscience
Schreyer Honors Thesis: High-frequency oscillations in focal hand dystonia
- American Academy of Dermatology’s Native American Health Service Rotation Program (May 2014)
- 2013 American Society for Dermatologic Surgery Preceptorship Program with Dr. Glenn Goldman
- Campagna Scholarship in Neurological Surgery at Oregon Health Sciences University (2007)
- Pauletta and Denzel Washington Family Gifted Scholars Program in Neuroscience at Cedars Sinai Medical Center (2006)
- Penn State Biology Student Marshal for spring 2006 Graduation
- USA TODAY’s 2006 All-USA College Academic Second Team
- Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship (2005)
- S. Department of Homeland Security Scholarship (2004-2006)
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke Exceptional Summer Student Award (2004)
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- Urban C, Anadkat M. A review of cutaneous toxicities from targeted therapies in the treatment of colorectal cancers. J Gastrointest Oncol. Sep 2013; 4(3): 319-327.
- Miller CJ, Sobanko JF, Zhu X, Nunnciato T, Urban CR. Special stains in mohs surgery. Dermatol Clin. 2011 Apr; 29(2): 273-86.
- Whitmore RG, Urban C, Church E, Ruckenstein M, Stein SC, Lee JY. Decision analysis of treatment options for vestibular schwannoma. J Neurosurg. 2011 Feb;114(2):400-13.
- Lee J, Chen I, Urban C, Hojat A, Church E, Xie S, Farrar J. Development of and psychometric testing for the Brief Pain Inventory-Facial in patients with facial pain syndromes. J Neurosurg. 2010 Sep;113(3):516-23.
- Urban, C. Question author, Dermatologic Surgery, Online Board Prep Question Bank. American Academy of Dermatology. 2017.
- Zheng L, Urban C, Musiek A. Photo Challenge: Nonpainful Ulcerations on the Nose and Forehead: Trigeminal Trophic Syndrome. Cutis. Jul 2016; 98(1): E3-E4.
- Urban C, Hurst E. Chapter 11: Dermatologic Surgery of The Washington Manual of Dermatology Diagnostics. 2016. Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine.
- Urban, C. Applications of the Erbium:YAG laser and Native American Health Services Rotation. University of Maryland Department of Dermatology Grand Rounds. CME Lecture. July 29, 2014.
- Urban, C. Kyllo, R. Musiek, A. (2014, May). Dermatology for primary care physicians. Grand Rounds CME lecture at Indian Health Service, Chinle Comprehensive Healthcare Facility, Chinle, AZ.
- Urban, C. Bogucki, B. Hurst, E. (2014, April). A novel treatment of granuloma faciale with ablative erbium:YAG resurfacing. American Society for Laser Medicine & Surgery 34th annual conference. Phoenix, AZ.
- Urban, C. Cornelius, L. (2011, October). Vemurafenib (BRAF inhibitor) treatment of melanoma: cutaneous side effects. Missouri Dermatology Society Annual Meeting. Columbia, MO.
- Urban, C. (2011, August). What is infection and how it affects nails in pachyonychia congenita. Pachyonychia Congenita Project Patient Support Meeting; Philadelphia, PA.
- Urban, C. (2009, September). Understanding who’s who in medicine: tips for navigating the health system. Pachyonychia Congenita Project Patient Support Meeting; Salt Lake City, UT.
- Urban, C. (2004, August). Somatosensory-evoked potential evidence for reduced intracortical inhibition in focal hand dystonia. National Institute of Neurological Disorders & Stroke Awards Ceremony. Bethesda, MD.
- Urban, C. Council, ML. Hurst, E. Same-day erbium:YAG laser resurfacing to improve second intention healing after Mohs micrographic surgery on the nose and forehead. American College of Mohs Surgery 46th Annual Meeting. Phoenix, AZ.
- Urban, C., Sobanko, JF, Miller, CJ. A comparison of Mohs micrographic surgery aided by MART-1 immunostain for melanoma and melanoma in situ on the head & neck vs. trunk & extremities: retrospective review of 274 patients. American College of Mohs Surgery 43rd Annual Meeting. Las Vegas, NV.
- Gardner, J. Urban, C. Rubin, A. Bramble bush: Penicillamine’s effect on elastic fibers. American Society of Dermatopathology 46th Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL.
- Max Kade Clinical Clerkship in Austria- Pathology (March 2010)
- Penn State Biology/Ecology course in Costa Rica (January 2005)
- Phi Beta Kappa, Sigma Xi, and Thomas Bond Society of Pennsylvania Hospital (2011)
- American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
- American Academy of Dermatology