Hickory (Hickory Dermatology and Reed Dermatology Office)
Morganton (Western Piedmont Dermatology)
Hendersonville (Dermatology Center of Hendersonville)
Dr. Jake E. Turrentine joined The Skin Surgery Center in the summer of 2017. Dr. Turrentine is an exceptional clinician with experience in medical, surgical, and cosmetic dermatology. He has special interests in contact dermatitis, psoriasis, skin cancer, and disorders of hair and nails. Dr. Turrentine also has significant experience with lasers, soft tissue fillers, chemical peels, and botulinum toxin. He is dedicated to practicing evidence-based medical and surgical dermatology to optimize patient outcomes.
Dr. Turrentine is a graduate of the University of Georgia where he was a Foundation Fellow Scholar and earned his Doctor of Medicine degree at the Medical College of Georgia. He completed an internship in Internal Medicine at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas, followed by Dermatology residency at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. During his final year of residency, he served as Chief Resident and was recognized by his peers and mentors with awards for Leadership, Humanism and Professionalism, Cognitive Excellence, and Clinical Excellence. Most recently he served as an Assistant Professor of Dermatology at the Medical College of Georgia.
Dr. Turrentine is the author of the chapter on allergic contact dermatitis in the newest edition of Fitzpatrick’s Dermatology in General Medicine. He has also published articles on the use of patch testing in the diagnosis of drug allergy, compounded topical medications, photodermatitis and biosimilars, and he serves as a Section Editor for the journal Dermatitis. He has lectured extensively on topics such as skin lupus, cutaneous manifestations of systemic disease, sunscreens, contact dermatitis, and photo immunology. Additionally, he is a Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology and a member of the American Contact Dermatitis Society, the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, and the NC Dermatology Association.
View Full Bio/CV
University of Georgia
Athens, GA (2003-2007)
Medical College of Georgia
Augusta, GA (2007-2011),
Internship in Preliminary Internal Medicine
Baylor University Medical Center
Dallas, TX (2011-2012)
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Dallas, TX (2012-2015)
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Dallas, TX (2014-2015)
American Board of Dermatology (2015)
Texas #P8091; Expiration date 11-30-2017
Florida #ME121327; Expiration date 1-31-2017
Georgia #072838; Expiration date 8-31-2016
South Carolina #37485; Expiration date 6-30-2017
Assistant Professor of Dermatology
Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University
Augusta, Georgia (July, 2015 – Present)
Consultant/Attending Physician, Dermatology Clinics
Veterans Administration Medical Center
Augusta, Georgia (July, 2015 – Present)
UT Southwestern Dermatology Award for Humanism & Professionalism (Peer Selected) 2015
UT Southwestern Dermatology Award for Cognitive Excellence 2015
UT Southwestern Dermatology Award for Leadership 2015
UT Southwestern Dermatology “Star Clinician” Award 2015
Residents of Distinction Award, 2nd Place at Hawaii Winter Clinical Dermatology Conference 2015
UT Southwestern Dermatology Award for Cognitive Excellence 2014
UT Southwestern Dermatology Award for Leadership 2014
Contact Allergen Bee, Honorable Mention, American Contact Dermatitis Society 2014
Fisher Resident Competition Bronze Metal, American Contact Dermatitis Society 2014
UT Southwestern Dermatology Award for Cognitive Excellence 2013
Albert M. Kligman Travel Fellowship Award to IID/SID Annual Meeting 2013
Recipient of Travel Fellowship Award for IID Trainee Retreat for Future Academicians 2013
Alpha Omega Alpha 2010
Best Performance (Block 1) – Internal Medicine Clerkship 2009
American Society of Clinical Pathology Award for Academic Excellence & Achievement 2009
MCG Alumni Association Scholarship 2008, 2010
Gilbert Maxwell Endowment Scholarship (Medical College of Georgia) 2007
Inducted into Blue Key Honor Society 2007
University of Georgia “Amazing Student” Nominee 2006
University of Georgia Homecoming Court 2006
Inducted into Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society 2005
Phi Beta Kappa Scholar Award (annually awarded to one Phi Beta Kappa inductee) 2005
National Alpha Tau Omega Scholarship 2005
Selected to Dean William Tate Honor Society 2004
University of Georgia Foundation Fellowship Recipient 2003
Morehead Scholarship Nominee 2003
Jefferson Scholarship Nominee 2003
Eagle Scout with Silver Palm 2000
Laser Committee (July 2015-Present)
Scientific & Professional Activities
American Contact Dermatitis Society 2016
Dermatology Teachers Exchange Group 2015
Association of Professors in Dermatology 2015
American Association of Cancer Research (AACR) 2013-2014
Texas Dermatological Society 2013-2015
Society for Investigative Dermatology 2012-present
American Academy of Dermatology 2012-present
Fellow (Educational Research Fellowship)
This is a 2-year fellowship that meets weekly during the first year and monthly during the second year to foster development of educational research projects to improve outcomes in teaching and education.
Project: Barriers and Facilitating Factors to Full Body Skin Examination: a qualitative study
USRDS Infectious Disease Study Group
Project: Ongoing inquiries into several infectious diseases in patients with end stage renal disease
Objective: To study risk factors and outcomes of infectious diseases in patients with end stage renal disease based on inquiries into USRDS Medicare claims data
Psoriasis Registry Physician Participant
Project: CORRONA Psoriasis Registry
Objective: To study the comparative safety of approved psoriasis therapies in a national cohort of psoriasis subjects treated by dermatologists
August 2012-June 2015
Project: Expression of co-inhibitory molecules in inflammatory skin disease and cancer
Department: Department of Dermatology, The University of Texas Southwestern, Dallas, TX
Principal Investigator(s): Ponciano D. Cruz, Jr., M.D. and Kiyoshi Ariizumi, Ph.D.
Medical Student Research Assistant
Project: Investigation of the role of exon splicing in the pathogenesis of Kallmann’s syndrome.
Department: Institute of Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA
Principal Investigator: Lawrence Layman, M.D.
Undergraduate Research Assistant
Project: Characterization of CD8+ T cell responses to T. cruzi infection in Balb/C mice
Department: Center for Tropical and Emerging Global Disease (Tarleton Research Group),
University of Georgia, Athens, GA
Principal Investigator: Rick Tarleton, Ph.D.
MCG Dermatology Volunteer Clinic – Augusta, GA 2015-Present
Founded this volunteer dermatology clinic which meets monthly for indigent/uninsured patients
Volunteer, D-Tag Clinic – Dallas, TX 2014
Perform laser tattoo removal for teenagers leaving gangs or individuals entering the military
Volunteer, Agape Clinic – Dallas, TX 2012-2015
Provide Dermatologic care for indigent population of Dallas, approximately 4-5 hours on Saturday morning every 6-8 weeks
Presentations at National, Regional, & State Meetings
1. Turrentine JE. Updates in Photoimmunology: Basic Science and Clinical Applications. University of Florida Department of Dermatology, Grand Rounds. April 15, 2016.
2. Turrentine JE and Cruz PD Jr. Every Preservative is an Allergen in the Making. Oral presentation at the American Academy of Dermatology 2014 Annual Meeting, Advanced Contact Dermatitis Course, March 24 2014.
3. Turrentine JE, Marrazzo G, and Cruz PD Jr. Novel Use of Patch Testing in the First Report of Allergic Contact Dermatitis to Cyclobenzaprine. Podium Presentation and Winner of Fisher Award, Bronze Metal, at the American Contact Dermatitis Society Annual Meeting, March 20, 2014.
4. Turrentine JE. Pancreatic Panniculitis. Case Presentation at the Zola Cooper Conference, November 9, 2013, New Orleans, LA.
5. Turrentine JE. Porokeratosis Ptychotropica. Case Presentation at the Zola Cooper Conference, November 9, 2013, New Orleans, LA.
6. Turrentine JE, Marrazzo G, and Cruz PD Jr. Novel Use of Patch Testing in the First Report of Allergic Contact Dermatitis to Cyclobenzaprine. Podium Presentation (3rd place in Resident Competition) at the Texas Dermatological Society Meeting, October 2013, Galveston, TX.
Local or Institutional (AU) Presentations
1. Turrentine JE. Dermatologic Manifestations of Systemic Disease. Primary Care and Family Medicine Symposium. Augusta, GA. April 19, 2016.
2. Turrentine JE. Skin Signs of Lupus. Seventh Annual Lupus Symposium. Augusta, GA. March 19, 2016.
3. Turrentine JE. Sunscreens. Mini Med School. Augusta, GA. November 3, 2015.
1. Turrentine JE, Sokumbi O, and Agim N. Vesicles and Erosions in a Newborn (Neonatal Pemphigus Vulgaris). JAMA Dermatology, November 2014. PMID: 25207826
2. Gou DE, Turrentine JE, and Motaparthi K. Tender Leg Nodules in a Hospitalized Patient (Pancreatic Panniculitis). JAMA Dermatology, October 2014. PMID: 25353323.
3. Sirignano S, Blake P, Turrentine JE, and Dominguez A. Primary cutaneous zygomycosis secondary to minor trauma in an immunocompromised pediatric patient: a case report. Dermatology Online Journal. Published 2014 Jun 15;20(6). PMID: 24945642.
4. Turrentine JE, Chung J-S, Nezafati K, Tamura K, Harker-Murray A, Huth J, Sharma RR, Harker DB, Ariizumi K, and Cruz PD Jr. DC-HIL+ CD14+ HLA-DRno/low Cells Are a Potential Blood Marker and Therapeutic Target for Melanoma. J Invest Dermatol. Letter to the Editor. Published 2014 Jun 16 [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 24933321.
5. Klimas NK, Turrentine JE, and Cayce RL. Counterphobia and poor sun protection practices in first degree relatives of melanoma patients. Cutis. 2014 March;93(3):120-122. PMID: 24738091
6. Lopez IE, Turrentine JE, and Cruz PD Jr. Clues to diagnosis of connubial contact dermatitis to paraphenylenediamine. Dermatitis. 2014 Jan-Feb;25(1):32-3. PMID: 24407061.
7. Turrentine JE, Dharamsi JW, Miedler JD, and Pandya AG. Acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis (AGEP) caused by telavancin. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2011 Sep;65(3):e100-1. PMID: 21839299.
8. Turrentine JE, Brown AJ, and Davis LS. Leg swelling, erythema and bullae in a 6-year-old female with chronic lymphatic insufficiency. Pediatric Dermatology. 2011 Mar-Apr;28(2):189-90. PMID: 21504449.
9. Turrentine JE, Lyke AC, and Thiers BH. Enlarging chest mass on a 26-year-old man. J Amer Acad Dermatol. 2012 Jan;66(1):e1-2. PMID: 22177645 (PMC – in process)
10. Turrentine JE, Blalock TW, and Davis LS. Unusually Severe Case of Dermatosis Neglecta. SKINmed: Dermatology for the Clinician. Skinmed. 2012 Jan-Feb;10(1):46-7. PMID: 22324178.
11. Turrentine, JE. Characterization of an immunodominant trans-sialidase specific CD8+ T cell response in Trypanosoma cruzi infected mice. Undergraduate Honors Biology Thesis. University of Georgia Honors Program, 2007.
1. Cuello KA, Belcher M, Turrentine JE, and Regmi A. Continuous Hemodialysis with plasmapheresis and sodium thiosulphate, a successful treatment in calciphylaxis. Poster presentation. New Orleans, LA. February 18, 2016.
Books / Book Chapters / Book Reviews:
1. Turrentine JE and Cruz PD Jr. Photoimmunology. Chapter in Clinical and Basic Immunodermatology, 2nd edition. Submitted to Springer for Editorial Review, in final revisions as of April 2016.